A Photograph of Panchkula Phase I Housing Complex
Indian Railway Welfare Organisation ( IRWO ) was set up on 25th September 1989 under the patronage of the Ministry of Railways, Government of India, for the purpose of promoting social welfare schemes such as providing help to acquire accommodation to serving and retired railway employees on No Profit No Loss basis. It is registered as a Society under the Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860. It has its head quarters at New Delhi and zonal offices at Kolkata, Lucknow, Chennai and Mumbai. However, the zonal offices are not permanent offices. They may be increased or wound up according to need.
1. Ex-officio members from Ministry of Railways
- Member Staff as Chairman,
- Advisor or Executive Director/IR
- Advisor or Executive Director/ Accounts,
- Advisor or Executive Director/L & A
2. Ex-officio members from unions Two representatives each from All India Railwaymens Federation, National Federation of Indian Railwaymen, one representative each from Group A Railway Officers Association, Indian Railway Promotee Officers Federation and Indian Railway Protection Force Association.
3. Executive Officers The Managing Director, Director Technical and Director Finance of the Organization.
4. Co-opted Members The Chairman, Railway Board may, in his capacity as the Patron of the Organization, nominate four Members having specialized knowledge and experience useful to the organization. The day to day affairs are managed by the Managing Director, Director Technical and Director Finance of the Organization Although IRWO was set up for the purpose of promoting social welfare schemes such as providing help to acquire accommodation to serving and retired railway employees on No Profit No Loss basis, its present activity is restricted to construction of houses for its Members all over the country through self financing schemes.
As on 11.08.2017, IRWO has 80995 members.